Sky Sports to acquires IPL broadcast rights for UK & Ireland

Sports pay-tv company, the Sky Sports has agreed to sign a new multi-year partnership deal to broadcast the VIVO Indian Premier League (IPL) both in UK and Ireland.

The deal include Sky Sports to retain the IPL broadcasting rights for territory wise. The global media rights of the IPL are held by 21st Century Fox-owned Star India.

Fox also owns 39 percent stake in BSkyB and has signed a deal to acquire the remaining 61 percent stake for USD 15.6 billion.

Under the deal Sky Sports will broadcast 60 IPL matches live each year in the UK and Ireland, starting with the 2018 edition. The IPL 11th season is slated to on 7 April.

The Sky-Star deal also includes digital rights. This means that Stars video on demand (VoD) service Hotstar will not be streaming the IPL in the UK.

Star was planning to use IPL to strengthen Hotstar’s presence in global markets like US and UK.

In 2014, Sky had signed a three-year deal to broadcast the IPL for the first time in UK and Ireland.

Earlier last year, the Star India had acquired all IPL media rights for Rs 16,347.5 crore (USD 2.55 million) for next five year (2018-2022) till 2022.

NO COMMENTS